Saturday, August 18, 2012

Recovering

Well. Where to start! Despite what I said two posts ago, our little Sophie didn't quite manage to fight the virus on her own. After being in the ER for hours on Saturday night and being sent home, she spent Sunday getting progressively worse. By dinner time, she wasn't responding well, was very lethargic and still had a 104 degree fever. So back we went to the ER again. This time I was somewhat prepared and at least took PJs for her and me! And hubby came with me, while my sweet brother put Jack to bed (we left Jack dancing around shouting, "Uncle Steve come to play with me!". At least we could rest easy on that front!).

 The ER team were really good with her. Since the great traumatic IV procedure of the night before, they got a NICU medic to put in Sophie's IV this time and he got it done in under 15 minutes. Praise God! However, I soon realized that what we endured the night before was nothing compared to what was coming! The doc on call ordered a spinal tap, as she was concerned about meningitis or some other dangerous bug. Oh.My.Word. That was awful! Let's just say it took her until Thursday to even smile at anyone who approached her with a stethoscope, let alone a needle!

  Long story short, she was admitted to hospital on Sunday night. They concluded that she was fighting a really nasty virus and just couldn't win that battle without some help. She was on meds, fluids and oxygen since Sunday and has undergone I don't know how many tests. Will summarize her diagnosis and treatment in another post, but here are a few photos from our days in the hospital.
MONDAY: second night at the hospital and still a very sick baby girl!
TUESDAY: a bit stronger and enjoying a visit from Aunty Ness


TUESDAY: Daddy cuddles

Dr. Jack: the only "doctor" she was happy to see!

WEDNESDAY: smiled for the first time since Saturday and loved a visit from Uncle Steve
WEDNESDAY: first time out of bed and she enjoyed a little trip to sit by the window
THURSDAY: Nana arrived!!!

FRIDAY: sitting up, playing with toys and ready to go home! 




 In certain ways this week was very special, just being at the hospital alone with Sophie. We sang and prayed and just sat, a lot together. I was able to be with her the whole five days and the staff were excellent about allowing me to be with her every minute and through every procedure etc.

I want to thank my family and friends for being so supportive this week. For praying for Sophie, for visiting, bringing me food, for phone calls and texts and messages. So appreciate everything...you kept me going!


No comments: